May 16, 2012

Civil Rights

This is National Nursing Home Week and the nursing home right next door to Trinity High School - St. Teresa - invited me to come speak to the residents today about the Civil Rights Era.  Each day this week they are focusing on a different decade and today was the 50's and 60's.

There was a nice crowd of about 15-20 residents and I spoke very generally, highlighting some of the major milestones of the civil rights movement.  I focused a little bit on the role of young people in the movement and how 18, 19, 20 year olds were responsible for changing history.  We like to remind our students that you don't have to be president or older to make change, they can do it now.

Following my talk we had a little chat about what they remember.  One woman lived in South Boston during the Busing Crisis and had her own opinions on the topic!  Yikes.  But it was certainly a fun little talk and I was honored that they asked me to join them.  We have a nice relationship with the folks there and we always enjoy going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment