May 17, 2012

NHS Inductions

When I was in high school, the closest I ever got to the letters NHS were my grades of CDF!  Thus, it was quite ironic that I was asked to give the keynote address at last night's annual National Honor Society Inductions.  I was honored to speak before such an accomplished group of young men and women.  I have posted my talk below:


Now if you have ever looked at my high school report card, you noticed that I failed Biology (sorry Mr. Maurier).  So I am the last person in this room who should be making any observations about science.  But I think it’s fairly safe to say that the human foot smells (you hockey parents know what I am talking about).  However, can you imagine what the average human foot smelled like and looked like 2,000 years ago during the time of Christ - before the invention of shoes and socks?  The combination of no footwear, talcum powder, and the dry, arid air in the Middle East, I think we can very much appreciate the fact that Jesus Christ washed the feet of His disciples.
We hear this story of Jesus getting on His hands and knees to wash His disciples‘ feet every year on Holy Thursday.  I always found it interesting that on the day our Church commemorates the Last Supper and the institution of the Eucharist, the Mass, and the priesthood that the gospel reading of that day is not about those things but rather of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples.  My favorite part of this story is when Jesus says:
Do you realized what I have done for you?  You call Me ‘teacher’ and ‘master’ and rightly so, for indeed I am.  If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet.  I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.  Amen, amen I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.  
What Jesus essentially is telling us is that we are no better than anyone else and we have a constant obligation to serve and love others, no matter how lowly they are and how mighty we might be.  If I, Jesus said, the greatest thing since sliced bread can wash your dirty, grimy feet, than you better do it too.  It’s a wonderful lesson in leadership and in humility.
I have always appreciated the fact that in order to be a member of the National Honor Society, you need to meet two criteria: you need to have a certain grade point average and you have to have a commitment to service.  NHS is not simply a place where, as we say in Massachusetts, wicked smart people get together to celebrate how wicked smart they are.  You have all been blessed by God with amazing intellects.  I have taught most of you and I am not ashamed to say that many of you have written papers that are superior to anything I ever produced in high school and college.  But now through your membership in NHS  you have been called to use your brains and your know how to do good and effect change.  And those of us who have wonderful talents and gifts are indeed expected to do more.  As Jesus reminds us in Luke’s gospel: to whom much is given, much is expected.  
Just this afternoon I was asked to give a talk at St. Teresa’s Nursing Home (where NHS does great service work) about the Civil Rights Movement.  And as I was preparing for and thinking about it, it kept on coming back to me that the movers and shakers of the Civil Rights Movement were kids - 18, 19, 20 year olds who with much courage and conviction stood up to evil and injustice and literally changed history.  You, ladies and gentlemen, do not have to be the president or a senator to change the world - the world can’t wait that long for you.  As Mother Teresa said, “Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has not yet come.  We have only today.”
I join everyone here in congratulating you on your amazing accomplishment.  The initials NHS don’t appear anywhere on my transcripts...just a lot of CDF.  You have worked hard to get to this point and now may you use your time in NHS (and beyond) to wash the feet of your fellow man and woman.  And trust me, if you do, you will be - not be like - you will be Jesus.  
May you truly live Jesus in your hearts forever.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment