November 21, 2011

The tradition continues

For years and years now, our school community has come together every Thanksgiving to help hundreds of families in the city of Manchester have an amazing Thanksgiving dinner.

This year was no exception.

We are still collecting baskets but as of now, we have 400 Thanksgiving baskets on our front lawn to benefit the food pantries of Blessed Sacrament and Transfiguration Parishes.  Saint Joseph Regional Junior High School donated boxes and boxes of food which will be made into baskets this afternoon by three of our parents which should bring our total to about 450 baskets.

I cannot thank the Trinity High School community enough for - once again - coming to the aid of the most vulnerable.  As I always tell our students, this is why we exist and why we do what we do.  I found it quite fitting that the gospel at Mass yesterday was the one from Matthew which reminded us that:


For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’
Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?

When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’


No comments:

Post a Comment