March 14, 2016

Baby shower

Each Lent, we hold a baby shower to benefit the good people of Our Place, a New Hampshire Catholic Charities organization here in Manchester.  Our Place provides educational and material support to young parents (up to age 25).  As I tell our students, I became a father when I was 30 and had never changed a diaper or taken care of a baby.  Those first few months left me shellshocked and when my wife first asked me to change the baby's diaper, she might as well asked me to split an atom.  Imagine, I tell them, being a father at their age or in your early 20's, and perhaps without any support.  Without the support of a place like Our Place, young parents might be scared enough to choose other options so it's important we support them in their ministry.


As always, our school community came through with the baby shower on Friday, even donating some expensive items like car seats.  We filled up Mr. Sheehan's truck and he and I will bring the items over this afternoon.

As is our custom when we conclude a drive like this, our morning prayer on Friday came from Matthew 25:

‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?38When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?39When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’40And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment