May 20, 2015

NHS Induction

Last night our school community inducted the newest members into the National Honor Society.  In order to become a member, students must have a 3.6 GPA and demonstrate a commitment to service.  We induct students beginning in the second semester of their sophomore year so most (if not all) of last night's inductees were sophomores.

I had the honor of offering the opening prayer and I spoke of how much I admire the fact that membership in NHS is not just grade based but also based on service.  I said that that is sort of the hallmark of a Trinity High School education - we strive to get students into college but also (and more importantly) into heaven.  For our prayer I read the gospel passage from St. John's gospel when Jesus washed His disciples' feet.  My favorite line is:

“Do you realize what I have done for you?  You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for indeed I am.  If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet."

The keynote speaker was David Gagnon '11 who is a seminarian with the Diocese of Manchester.  He too spoke about servant leadership and the marks of a true leader (you'd think we collaborated).  He also offered the final prayer.  David just graduated from Providence College where he lived in a house of formation and this fall he will be enrolling in St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore.  He will be spending the summer at St. Patrick's Parish in Pelham.

Congratulations to all the new inductees, you deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment