April 21, 2015

Feast of Saint Anselm

Today the Church celebrates the feast of Saint Anselm, a monk, philosopher, and the archbishop of Canterbury from 1093-1109.  Saint Anselm's most famous work was the "Proslogion" which was a treatise on proving the existence of God.  His basic premise was God exists because there is nothing greater that can be conceived.

I know all this not because I am some Anselm scholar but because I had the great privilege of attending Saint Anselm College here in Manchester.  I graduated from there in 1998 with a degree in Politics and my four years there were the greatest four years of my life.  All of my close friends today are my friends from Saint Anselm College.

Trinity High School has a close connection with Saint Anselm College as the sole Catholic high school and college in Manchester.  In addition, many members of our faculty graduated from Saint Anselm College and many of our graduates go onto Saint Anselm College from here.  The faculty that attended were:

Ms. Byron
Ms. Comiskey
Mrs. Doyle
Mr. Flaherty
Mr. Forkey
Ms. Foley
Mr. Mailloux
Mr. Maurier
Mrs. O'Leary
Mr. Sheehan
Mr. Smith

In honor of Saint Anselm, this prayer of his was our morning prayer:

Teach me to seek you,
and reveal yourself to me as I seek:
For unless you instruct me
I cannot seek you,
and unless you reveal yourself
I cannot find you.
Let me seek you in desiring you:
let me desire you in seeking you.
Let me find you in loving you:
let me love you in finding you.

No comments:

Post a Comment