July 16, 2013

Tired but amazing

I am sorry I didn't blog yesterday.  We only had a little window of time after we got back from our service site in the afternoon and we got back to our rooms around 11pm after our evening programs.  I must confess that my bed looked so much better than my laptop so I went right to sleep.

I have to run off to breakfast in a minute but we are having an amazing experience so far.  Yesterday was our first full day of faith, service, and community and our kids have jumped right in.  All of the service groups are engaged in helping homeowners recover from Hurricane Sandy (although one group went to a food bank in New Jersey, today and tomorrow they will be doing clean-up work too).  Everyone is doing yard work, clean-up, or in my group's case, painting.  When we reflect on our work each evening we keep going back to the gospel that we heard at Mass on Sunday of the Good Samaritan.  The part I keep coming back to in my mind is the anonymity of the Samaritan.  He didn't do what he did for praise or to be known, he did it because he wanted to show the mercy of God.  Our kids will never see these people again but they will forever know the ordinary things they did that had extraordinary meaning to the people being served.

No comments:

Post a Comment