December 3, 2012

Kairos 61

A few months back, I emailed John Mark, the director of Campus Ministry at my alma mater, Boston College High School, asking if I could meet with him to learn about Kairos retreats.  He not only agreed to meet with me, he also invited me to attend one of their retreats and to bring some students!  This past weekend (Wednesday-Saturday) was the retreat, the 61st Kairos retreat BC High has run.

I brought along three girls - Kasie Bourque '14, Allison Doherty '14, and Kira Duffy '13 - so they could learn how to run the retreats with me.  The girls were a little taken aback when we walked into BC High on Wednesday and saw gaggles of boys.  Even some of the boys were wondering what girls were doing there when we got onto the bus!  We left BC High around 3:15pm and arrived at our retreat center at 4:30pm.

I can't get into too many of the details of the retreat as they try to keep many elements a surprise.  The format is essentially large group talks, small group discussions, prayer services each evening, and plenty of time for meals and recreation.  The talks were very powerful, the small groups very moving, and the students were very willing to be open and let God do His work.

We were back at BC High around 3pm on Saturday and were on our way after a brief closing ceremony.  We are hoping to have our own retreat this spring, either on our own or again with BC High (they offered to run a joint one with us).  Either way, I am confident that these retreats will add an element to our program that has been sorely missing.  Buckle up!

No comments:

Post a Comment