October 24, 2012

Vocation Day

Yesterday I had the great honor of speaking at Saint Christopher's School's 22nd annual Vocation Day.    This was the second year that I've attended Vocation Day and it's quickly become one of my favorite days of the year.

The day began with Mass celebrated by newly ordained Father Alan Tremblay of Saint Andre Bessette Parish in Laconia.  It must be very hard to be able to preach to a crowd of children with an age range of pre-K-6th grade but Father Alan did a great job telling a story about a monkey learning from his father how to get bananas from a tree (he tied that to God the Father teaching us how to find our vocation).  Following Mass and a group picture, the presenters were treated to a delicious homemade brunch in the church hall.  I had the pleasure of sitting and chatting with Bro. Mark Hilton, SC, the president of Bishop Guertin High School.

After brunch we all went to our various classrooms for three 20 minute talks.  I spoke with two sixth grade classes and one fifth grade section.  I talked about how I have the best of both worlds - I get to work at an amazing place that I hardly consider a job and then get to go home at night to two great kids and my amazing wife.  I encouraged the students to do whatever it is that will make them happy.  Christ, I told them, has put us in charge of everything until He returns.  It's up to us to find out what He wants us to do and whatever that it, it will make us so happy and fulfilled.

What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment