October 19, 2012

Cardboard City totals

This just completely blows me away...we counted up the donations from Cardboard City and the amazing students of Trinity High School and Saint Joseph Regional Junior High School raised a whopping $7,277.00!  All of the proceeds will benefit New Horizons right here in Manchester.

By comparison, last year we raised $3,141.00.  This is a staggering increase and everyone should be so proud of their accomplishment.  New Horizons does yeoman's work operating a soup kitchen, a shelter, a food pantry, and a medical center and we are so happy to help them with their mission.

On a sad note, I just learned today that the founder of New Horizons, Sister Angie Whidden, RSM, passed away this week.  Sister Angie also taught Theology for a time at Trinity (in addition to many other schools in New Hampshire).  Angie's Place, a shelter for women in Manchester affiliated with New Horizons, is named after Sister Angie.  I must confess that I didn't know any of this until Mr. Sheehan '79 pointed out her obituary to me but Sister Angie sounds like a hero and I am interested in learning more about her and her work here in New Hampshire.

I am glad that Trinity and Saint Joe's students are keeping Sister Angie's vision alive today!

No comments:

Post a Comment