September 16, 2012

150 years young

Mr. O'Leary, our Latin teacher, and I both attended Boston College High School (I graduated the same year our current freshmen were born, gulp) and in 2013, the school will be celebrating its 150th anniversary along with Boston College.  Yesterday the two schools had a kick-off Mass for their Sesquicentennial Year at Fenway Park.  My wife Lynn joined me for the Mass which was celebrated by BC's president Father William Leahy, SJ.  Cardinal Sean O'Malley, the archbishop of Boston, was there as was Bishop Libasci. I also ran into Father Jason Jalbert of the Diocese of Manchester and Father Bernard Disco, OSB of Saint Anselm College who were among 100 or so priests who con-celebrated the Mass.  My wife and I also got our picture taken with Wally.  I am anti-Wally as a rule but my wife wanted to take a picture to make our kids jealous!  I also talked to Zach Boivin '12 who is a freshman at BC.  Another recent Trinity grad and current BC student, Maddy Walsh '10, was there but I didn't get a chance to see her.

The homily was masterfully preached by Father Michael Himes, a theology professor at BC who said that to be fully human is to be fully like God.  Thus, by learning math, science, English, etc. we are becoming more fully human and thus more fully God.  I hope to get a copy of it as it was so eloquent and powerful.  Cardinal Sean told Father Himes that he hit it out of the park and the Red Sox could use him!

Following Mass we got to go onto the field and walk along the Green Monster, the bullpens, and right field.  It was my first time ever on the field and was incredibly thrilling.

Happy birthday BC High!  Here's to another 150 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment